Clarified Tomato Broth is the most flavorful part of vine ripened local tomatoes pulled out into a beautiful clear umami-rich broth. It is excellent for cooking rice, as a soup base or in place of water in bread.
Ingredients: Dog River tomatoes. 32oz
½ c. Golden Raisins
1 c. White Rice, rinsed
2 c. BBVT Tomato Broth
2 T. Butter
½ Onion, chopped
2 cl. Garlic, minced
2 T. Pine Nuts or Sliced Almonds
1/8 t. Turmeric
1 t. Mild Curry Powder divided (substitute 1/2 t. cumin, 1/2 t. coriander)
1 t. Salt
- Cover raisins with boiling water, set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring tomato broth to a boil, add rice, cover, and cook at a simmer for 15 min.
- Melt butter in a non-stick skillet, sauté onion, garlic, nuts, turmeric, salt and 1 t. curry powder
- When rice has cooked for 15 minutes and most of the liquid is absorbed, remove from heat, add sauté mix, drained raisins, and remaining curry powder. Mix, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
For a quicker version: Sauté onions and garlic in the saucepan, then add broth and rice. Add remaining ingredients after 15 minutes. Mix, cover, and rest for 5 minutes before serving.
1 T Canola Oil
1 T chili Powder, divided
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
Chopped chile pepper (1 serrano, 1 poblano, or ½ jalapeno)
1 qt. BBVT Tomato Broth
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
(Optional: 2 boneless chicken thighs or ½ lb. pork, cut into bite-sized pieces)
1 c. cooked white rice
1 c. frozen corn (better yet, 2 ears fresh corn, roasted)
1 14oz. can diced tomatoes with liquid
1 14 oz. can Black Beans, drained
1 t. Salt
1 T. lime juice
Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- In large sauce pan or soup pot, sauté onion, garlic, chile peppers, and ½ chili powder in canola oil.
- Add tomato broth, carrots, celery, and meat if using. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 5 min.
- Add cooked rice, corn, canned tomatoes, beans, remaining chili powder, and salt. Bring back to temperature and simmer for another 10 min. Add lime juice.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.